- How did engaging with a real person, testing with a real person, change the direction your prototype took?
I believe that working on a one to one level with my partner Alex, I was able to clearly identify the ‘need’ he came to me with. This need could then be altered in the planning stages fairly early as he was able to tell me and specify to me whether or not my prototype was meeting his expectations. Having this input from the start I believe is crucial as it did aid in the formation of the end product for the user as it allows the user to have direct input in the design of the product.
- What was it like showing unfinished work to another person?
Showing Alex my unfinished work was a little daunting at first but I became comfortable with using the opportunity to engage with the end user throughout the design process. I was able to explain my exact ideas as they had come from my head onto paper and did not have to ‘tidy’ up any drafts or scrawls as I worked through my explanations with Alex. I believe it was mutually beneficial as Alex was able to see the designs from my perspective and assess the positives and negatives based on decisions I made with justifications that I had made clear to him.
- As a User, how did you interact with your partner’s level of lowly-resolved prototype; how did the level of resolution impact your experience as a user?
Seeing my partners design physically presented was good as it allowed me as a client to work with the dev. and provide him feedback as it was to be a product that was going to revolutionize gift giving for me, personally. I was able to ‘use’ the product in my hand and understand how it worked.
- Design thinking is an iterative, self-directed process. Based on what you learned, what would you go back and do next? What would you do over again?
I think I would have developed a better prototype system. I was essentially developing an app for use with scan enabled barcodes I think that a hierarchy system of screens was needed in order to clearly explain just how the timeline of events when using the app would work.
- What principle, what tool would you infuse into the work tomorrow?
Research. I would assess the user’s needs and look at alternatives on the market and assess what they do better or worse than my prototypes. I would borrow ideas and expand upon then in order to better tailor my product for my client.